This question came up several times so I am happy to show you how you can create a DirectSmile Set with a variable background image. I want to create a Set where you can choose one of three different background images:
5) Open the Picture in Picture settings (1), enable the option “Fill out complete frame” (2) and select your current background image as the sample image (3). This ensures that the default image in the Picture in Picture frame is the green one.
7) You can try the different background images by changing the text in the stage direction, e.g. Smile\#red.jpg (use the backslash hash to separate the content and you only need to enter the file name because DirectSmile can find the files if they are in Set folder).
If you want to use this Set online, we need one more thing:
9) If you upload a Set, DirectSmile takes all necessary files automatically. But only our “green.jpg” is used in the Set (as background image and sample image) and not “blue” and “green”. To include them in the upload process we use the FileList. This is a simple text file, please name it “FileList.txt” and list up the files that should be included:
Let me show you one example how you could use your Set with variable background image in a Cross Media campaign.
12) You could upload your three images (yellow marks) and use them like buttons, therefore enable the checkbox “Has link” and select your page from the drop down list = a click will reload the page. Click “Add action” to add the “Write to database field” action, select the database column in which you want to write the information and enter the image name as static text. This needs to be done for all three images with the different image names in the “write to database” actions.
13) That’s it! You can test my page here:
I hope you can use this tutorial for your great ideas :-)